Set forth below is a list of peer-reviewed publications that have made use of APIS data. The list includes publications that have appeared since the launch of the APIS Web site on June 23, 2003, through March 31, 2013.
1. Hingson, R.W. & White, A.M. (2013). Adolescent and teen drinking. In P. Boyle, P. Boffetta, A.B. Lowenfels, H. Burns, O. Brawley, W. Zatonski, & J. Rehm (Eds.), Alcohol: Science, Policy and Public Health. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 143-152. Book chapter available online at: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=wNsJuM6KqGoC&oi=fnd&pg=PA143&dq=%22alcohol+policy+information+system%2&ots=RptuqVWEqd&sig=uQuiVeZQanHAWPmn9FZaPUb5M7g#v=onepage&q=%22alcohol%20policy%20information%20system%22&f=false
2. Costello, B.J. (2013). Free Government Databases for Non-depository Libraries. The Reference Librarian, 54(1):1-22.
3. Mosher, J.F. & Treffers, R.D. (2013). State pre-emption, local control, and alcohol retail outlet density regulation. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 44: 399-405.
4. Bellou, A. & Bhatt, R. (2013). Reducing underage alcohol & tobacco use: Evidence from the introduction of vertical identification cards, Journal of Health Economics,32 (2): 353-366.
5. Bhagabati, D., Das, B., & Das, S. (2013). Pattern of alcohol consumption in underage population in an Indian city. Dysphrenia: Academic Journal of Psychiatry, 4(1):36-41.
6. French, M.T., Gumus, G., & Homer, J.F. (2012). Motorcycle fatalities among out-of-state riders and the role of universal helmet laws. Social Science & Medicine, 75 (10): 1855-1863.
7. Hedden, E.M., Jessop, A.B., & Field, R.I. (2012). Childhood immunization reporting laws in the United States: Current status. Vaccine, 30 (49):7059-7066.
8. Adams, S., Blackburn, M.L., & Cotti, C.D. (2012). Minimum wages and alcohol-related traffic fatalities among teens. The Review of Economics and Statistics, 94(3):828-840.
9. Costich, J.F. (2012). Coded statutory data sets for evaluation of public health law. Evaluation Review, 36:220-237.
10. Macinko J. & Silver, D. (2012). Improving state health policy assessment: an agenda for measurement and analysis. American Journal of Public Health. e-View ahead of print: http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300716
11. Danaher, B.G., Dresser, J., Shaw, T., Severson, H.H., Tyler, M.S., & Maxwell, E.D. (2012). Development and process evaluation of a web-based responsible beverage service training program. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention and Policy,7:41.
12. Linkenbach, J. & Young, D.J. (2012). Accounting for Changes in Alcohol Use and Abuse in the United States. SAGE Open, 2-3:1-8. Available online at: http://sgo.sagepub.com/content/2/3/2158244012459742.full.pdf+html
13. Noffsinger, D.L. & Cooley, J. (2012). Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment in the adolescent trauma population: Examining barriers to implementation. Journal of Trauma Nursing,19:148-151.
14. Thomas, S., Mallie, J., Paschall, J.W., Grube, Cannon, C., & Treffers, R. (2012). Underage alcohol policies across 50 California cities: An assessment of best practices. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy,7:26. doi:10.1186/1747-597X-7-26.
15. Cochran, G. & King, D. (2012). Social work and the Uniform Accident and Sickness Policy Provision Law: A pilot project. Social Work,57 (1):38-48.
16. Cavazos-Rehg, P.A., Krauss, M.J., Spitznagel, E.L., Chaloupka,F.J., Schootman, M., Grucza, R.A., & Bierut, L.J. (2012). Associations between selected state laws and teenagers’ drinking and driving behaviors. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 36 (9):1647-1652.
17. Burris, S., Mays, G.P., Scutchfield, F.D., & Ibrahim, J.K. (2012). Moving from intersection to integration: Public health law research and public health systems and services research. The Milbank Quarterly, 90 (2):375-408.
18. Rookey, B.D. (2012). Drunk driving in the United States: An examination of information and formal factors to explain variation in DUI enforcement across U.S. counties. Western Criminology Review,13 (1):37-52.
19. Wagoner, K.G., Francisco, V.T., Sparks, M., Wyrick, D., Nichols, T., & Wolfson, M. (2012). A review of social host policies focused on underage drinking parties: Suggestions for future research. Journal of Drug Education, 42(1):99-117.
20. Delcher, C., Maldonado-Molina, M.M., & Wagenaar, A.C. (2012). Effects of alcohol taxes on alcohol-related disease mortality in New York State from 1969 to 2006. Addictive Behaviors, 37 (7):783-789.
21. Hingson, R.W., Heeren, T., Edwards, E.M., & Saitz, R. (2012). Young adults at risk for excess alcohol consumption are often not asked or counseled about drinking alcohol. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 27 (2):179-84. doi: 10.1007/s11606-011-1851-1. PMID: 21935753.
22. Chang, K., Wu, C.C., & Ying, Y.H. (2011). The effectiveness of alcohol control policies on alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the United States. Accident Analysis and Prevention,45:406-415. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2011.08.008. Epub 2011 Sep 16.
23. Gunzerath, L., Hewitt, B.G., Li, T.K., & Warren, K.R. (2011). Alcohol research: past, present, and future. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1216 (Addiction Reviews):1-23. Available online at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05832.x/abstract
24. Gruenewald, P.J. (2011). Regulating availability: How access to alcohol affects drinking and problems in youth and adults. Alcohol Research & Health, 34 (2). Available online at: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh342/248-256.htm
25. Fell, J.C. & Lacey, J.H. (2011). An assessment of Maryland's driving under the influence laws. Journal of Transportation Safety & Security, 3 (2):123-140.
26. Gearhardt, A.N., Grilo, C M., DiLeone, R.J., Brownell, K.D., & Potenza, M.N. (2011). Can food be addictive? Public health and policy implications. Addiction,106:1208-1212.
27. Pavia, C.J. (2011). Constitutional protection of "sexting" in the wake of Lawrence: The rights of parents and privacy. Virginia Journal of Law & Technology,16:191-219. Available online at: http://www.vjolt.net/vol16/issue1/v16i1_189-Pavia.pdf
28. Robertson, A.A., Liew, H., Gardner, S. (2011). An evaluation of the narrowing gender gap in DUI arrests. Accident Analysis and Prevention,43 (4):1414-20. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2011.02.017.
29. Chriqui, J.F., O'Connor, J.C., & Chaloupka, F.J. (2011). What gets measured, gets changed: Evaluating law and policy for maximum impact. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics,39 (Suppl.1):21-26.
30. Drabble, L., Poole, N., Magri, N.,Tumwesigye, N.B.,Li, Q., & Plant, M. (2011). Conceiving risk, divergent responses: perspectives on the construction of risk of FASD in six countries. Substance Use and Misuse, 46 (8):943.
31. French, M.T., Gumus, G., & Homer, J.F. (2010). Universal helmet laws and motorcycle fatalities: A longitudinal analysis of policy changes. Chapter 7 in D. Slottje and R. Tchernis (Eds.) (pp.139-162). Volume 290 of the book series: Contributions to Economic Analysis, Current Issues in Health Economics, London, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
32. Stehr, M.F. (2010). The effect of Sunday sales of alcohol on highway crash fatalities. The B.E.Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,10 (1):1-22.
33. Carr, B.G., Porat, G., Wiebe, D.J., & Branas, C.C. (2010). A review of legislation restricting the intersection of firearms and alcohol in the U.S. Public Health Reports, 125 (5):674–679.
34. Cochran, G. (2010). Analysis of the Uniform Accident and Sickness Policy Provision Law: Lessons for social work practice, policy, and research. Social Work in Health Care, 49 (7):647-668.
35. Ringwalt, C.L. & Paschall, M.J. (2010). The utility of keg registration laws: A cross-sectional study. Journal of Adolescent Health,48 (1):106-108.
36. Paschall, M.J., Ringwalt, C.L., & Gitelman, A.M (2010). The validity of state survey estimates of binge drinking. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 39 (2):179-183.
37. Maldonado-Molina, M.M. & Wagenaar, A.C. (2010). Effects of alcohol taxes on alcohol-related mortality in Florida: Time-series analyses from 1969 to 2004. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research,34 (11):1-7.
38. Burris, S. & Anderson, E. (2010). The challenges of quantitative public health law research. American Journal of Preventive Medicine,39 (1):99-101.
39. Tremper, C., Thomas, S., & Wagenaar, A.C. (2010). Measuring law for evaluation research. Evaluation Review, 34 (3):242-266.
40. Dills, A.K. (2010). Social host liability for minors and underage drunk-driving accidents. Journal of Health Economics, 29 (2): 241-249.
41. Collins, R.L., Taylor, S.L., Elliott, M.N., Ringel, J.S., Kanouse, D.E., & Beckman, R. (2010). Off-premise alcohol sales policies, drinking, and sexual risk among people living with HIV. American Journal of Public Health,100 (10):1890-1892.
42. Tremper, C., Thomas, S., & Wagenaar, A.C. (2010). Measuring law for evaluation research. Evaluation Review, 34 (3):242-266.
43. Durkin, A. & O'Connor, L.G. (2009). Preventing unsafe alcohol consumption on the 21st birthday: Roles for nurses. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 47:28-33.
44. Norberg, K.E., Bierut, L.J., & Grucza, R.A. (2009). Long-term effects of minimum drinking age laws on past-year alcohol and drug use disorders. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33 (12):2180-2190. doi: 10.1111/j.1530-0277.2009.01056.x
45. Hayman, A.V. & Crandall, M.L. (2009). Deadly partners: Interdependence of alcohol and trauma in the clinical setting. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health,6 (12):3097-3104.
46. Wagenaar, A.C., Maldonado-Molina, M.M., & Wagenaar, B.H. (2009). Effects of alcohol tax increases on alcohol-related disease mortality in Alaska: Time-series analyses from 1976 to 2004. American Journal of Public Health, 99 (8):1464-1470.
47. Fell, J.C., Fisher, D.A., Voas, R.B., Blackman, K., & Tippetts, A.S. (2009). The impact of underage drinking laws on alcohol-related fatal crashes of young drivers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33 (7):1208-19.
48. Hingson, R.W. (2009). The legal drinking age and underage drinking in the United States. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine,163 (7):598-600.
49. Brownson, R.C., Chriqui, J.F., & Stamatakis, K.A. (2009). Understanding evidence-based public health policy. American Journal of Public Health, 99 (9):1576-1583.
50. Grucza, R.A., Norberg, K.E., & Beirut, L.J. (2009). Binge drinking among youths and young adults in the United States: 1979-2006. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry,48(7):692-702.
51. Leis, R. & Rosenbloom, D. (2009). Substance abuse and addiction in family courts: The road from addiction recovery to productivity -- Ending discrimination against people with alcohol and drug problems. Family Court Review, 47(2):274-285.
52. Fell, J.C., Fisher, D.A., Voas, R.B., Blackman, K., & Tippetts, A.S. (2009). The impact of underage drinking laws on alcohol-related fatal crashes of young drivers. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 33 (7):1208-1219.
53. Greenfield, T.K. & Cherpitel, C.J. (2009). Alcohol policy and public health implications in the U.S. In C.J. Cherpitel, V. Poznyak, G. Borges, N.A. Giesbrecht, D.W. Hungerford, M. Peden, R. Room, & T. Stockwell. Alcohol and Injuries: Emergency Department Studies in an International Perspective. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
54. Courtney, K.E., & Polich, J. (2009). Binge drinking in young adults: Data, definitions, and determinants. Psychological Bulletin,135 (1):142-156.
55. Roudsari, B. & Ramisetty-Mikler, S. (2008). Exceptions to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act and underage drunk driver death in the United States: A state-level comparison. Annals of Epidemiology,18 (9):714-714.
56. Ponce, J.C. & Leyton, V. (2008). Drogas ilícitas e trânsito: Problema pouco discutido no Brasil. Rev Psiq Clín 35 (1):65-69.
57. French, M.T., Maclean, J.C., & Ettner, S.L. (2008). Drinkers and bettors: Investigating the complementarity of alcohol consumption and problem gambling. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 96:155-164.
58. Fell, J.C., Fisher, D.A., Voas, R.B., Blackman, K., & Tippetts, A.S. (2008). The relationship of underage drinking laws to reductions in drinking drivers in fatal crashes in the United States. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 40(4): 1430-1440.
59. Nelson, J.P. (2008). How similar are youth and adult alcohol behaviors? Panel results for excise taxes and outlet density. Atlantic Economic Journal,36 (1):89-104.
60. Kovas, A.E., McFarland, B.H., Landen, M.G., Lopez, A.L., & May, P.A. (2008). Survey of American Indian alcohol statutes, 1975-2006: Evolving needs and future opportunities for tribal health. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 69:183-191.
61. Toomey, T.L, Erickson, D.J., Lenk, K.M., Kilian, G.R,. Perry, C.L., & Wagenaar. A.C. (2008). A randomized trial to evaluate a management training program to prevent illegal alcohol sales. Addiction, 103 (3):405-413.
62. Kypri, K., Dean, J., & Stojanovski, E. (2007). Parent attitudes on the supply of alcohol to minors. Drug & Alcohol Review, 26:41-47.
63. Naimi, T.S., Brewer, R.D., Miller, J.W., Okoro, C., & Mehrotra, C. (2007). What do binge drinkers drink? Implications for alcohol control policy. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 33 (3):188-193.
64. Hingson, R.W., Swahn, M.H., & Sleet, D.A. (2007). Interventions to prevent alcohol-related injuries. In D.A. Sleet, E.N. Haas, J.A. Mercy (Eds.), Handbook of Injury And Violence Prevention. New York: Springer, 295-310.
65. Wagenaar, A.C., Maldonado-Molina, M.M.,Ma,L., Tobler, A.L., & Komro, K.A. (2007). Effects of legal BAC limits on fatal crash involvement: Analysis of 28 states from 1976-2002. Journal of Safety Research, 38 (5):493-499.
66. Fell, J.C., Fisher, D.A. & Voas, R.B (2007). Status of 14 under-age 21 drinking laws in the United States. In Transportation Research Circular No. E-C123. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies,98-108. http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec123.pdf
67. Hingson, R. (2007). The importance of alcohol regulation at all levels: Bringing it all together – lessons from underage drinking controls. In Transportation Research Circular No. E-C123. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies,189-206. http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec123.pdf
68. Mosher, J.F. (2007). Legal framework for alcohol regulation in the United States. In Transportation Research Circular No. E-C123. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies,48-59.
69. Wagenaar. A.C. & Tobler, A.L. (2007). Alcohol sales and service to underage youth and intoxicated patrons: Effects of responsible beverage service training and enforcement interventions. In Transportation Research Circular No. E-C123. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies,141-163. http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec123.pdf
70. Moore, A.J. (2007). Alcohol law enforcement: Agencies, methods, and impact. In Transportation Research Circular No. E-C123. Transportation Research Board of the National Academies,169-180. http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/circulars/ec123.pdf
71. Fell, J.C., Fisher, D.A., Voas, R.B., & Blackman, K. (2007). The relationship of 16 underage drinking laws to reductions in underage drinking drivers in fatal crashes in the United States. 51st Annual Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, October 15-16, 2007.
72. Chaloupka, F.J. & Johnston, L.D. (2007). Bridging the gap: Research informing practice and policy for healthy youth behavior. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 33(4;1):S147-S161.
73. Stehr, M. (2007). The effect of Sunday sales bans and excise taxes on drinking and cross-border shopping for alcoholic beverages. National Tax Journal, 60 (1):85-105.
74. Bray, J.W., Loomis, B., & Engelen, M. (2007). Correlates of in-store promotions for beer: Differential effects of market and product characteristics. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 68(2): 220-227.
75. Fornili, K. & Goplerud, E. (2006). Trauma centers and insurance exclusion laws: Unintended consequences and missed opportunities. Journal of Addictions Nursing,17(3):193-198.
76. McMillan, G.P. & Lapham, S. (2006). Effectiveness of bans and laws in reducing traffic deaths: Legalized Sunday packaged alcohol sales and alcohol-related traffic crashes and crash fatalities in New Mexico. American Journal of Public Health, 96(11):1944-1948.
77. Thomas, S., Rickert, L., & Cannon, C. (2006). The meaning, status and future of reproductive autonomy: The case of alcohol use during pregnancy. UCLA Women's Law Journal, 15:1-46.
78. Treno, A.J., Gruenewald, P.J., Wood, D.S., & Ponicki, W.R. (2006). The price of alcohol: A consideration of contextual factors. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, 30 (10):1734-1742.
79. Nelson, T.F., Naimi, T.S., Brewer, R.D., & Wechsler, H. (2005). The state sets the rate: The relationship among state-specific college binge drinking, state binge drinking rates, and selected state alcohol control policies. American Journal of Public Health, 95:441-446.
80. Bernat, D.H., Dunsmuir, W.T.M., & Wagenaar, A.C. (2004). Effects of lowering the legal BAC to 0.08 on single-vehicle-nighttime fatal traffic crashes in 19 jurisdictions. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 36:1089-1097.
81. Faden, V.B. & Fay, M.P. (2004). Trends in drinking among Americans age 18 and younger: 1975-2002. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, 28 (9):1388-1395.
82. Teitelbaum, J., Resenbaum, S., & Goplerud, E. (2004). State laws permitting intoxication exclusions in insurance contracts: Implications for public health policy and practice. Public Health Reports, 119 (6):585-587. doi: 10.1016/j.phr.2004.09.008