Variables: Underage Drinking: Furnishing Alcohol to Minors
One set of variables for furnishing alcoholic beverages to minors pertains to EXCEPTIONS to a prohibition of such furnishing. These exceptions are coded based on relevant statutes and regulations. There also may be religious, medical, parental, spousal, and law enforcement exceptions based on custom or constitutional protections that are not addressed by APIS. APIS also includes a variable related to an affirmative defense for a seller/licensee when the minor involved is not charged.
- Furnishing Prohibited
- Exceptions when the alcoholic beverages are furnished by:
- A Parent or Guardian
- A Spouse
- Some jurisdictions limit the Parent/Guardian and/or Spouse exception to specific locations. In such cases, the exception is shown as a plus sign rather than a check mark .
- Exceptions related to Location:
- In Any Private Location
- In Private Residences
- In Parent/Guardian's Home Only
- All of these Location exceptions are conditional on the presence and/or consent of the parent, legal guardian, or spouse. These location exceptions are shown as a plus sign to indicate that they are permitted only in combination with a specified family exception.
- Affirmative Defense: Minor Not Charged
- Provisions requiring that the seller/licensee be exonerated of charges of furnishing alcohol to a minor unless the minor involved is charged.